Madrone Berry Compote
Special thanks to Dogville for some inspiration. Thank you!
1 cup Madrone Berries
1/2 cup honey
1/8 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Water
1tsp Allspice powder
1tbsp Cinnamon powder
1tsp Anise powder
1/2tsp Cloves powder
1) Boil the Madrone Berries for 2-3 hours or until the berries become your preferred softness. Start with 4 cups of water; you may need to add more. Keep the juice that's leftover. They will turn yellow during the process.
2) Heat the other ingredients in a sauce pan, mix thoroughly, and boil for a few minutes. Give it a taste, and adjust spices, sweetness, and vinegar to your taste.
3) Pour the sauce into the Madrone Berry pot. Simmer until desired consistency (knowing it will thicken slightly as it cools).
4) Jar the compote in a mason jar. Lid and let sit for 8 hours to increase flavor.
5) Add to anything you'd add berries to - oatmeal, pies, granola, and more!